Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Noel Sickles - Railway Express Agency Ad

Let's look at some great Noel Sickles art (like there's some that isn't?) This is an ad he did for Railway Express Agency in 1951. I'm amazed at everything depicted in this ad. It's just a wealth of research, detail, action, fine art and elegance.

The fine print under the art says "A de luxe duo-tone color print 18 1/2" x 16 1/2" on fine paper will be sent to you on request." You never see offers like that much anymore. They're probably all gone by now. I'd sure like to find one.


Can you imagine the reference files Sickles must have had to be able to draw things accurately? The clothing looks pretty authentic to me.



I can't imagine how long it would take me to draw a stagecoach that even LOOKED like a stagecoach, much less one that was laden with baggage. How do you get elliptical wheels to look right? How many spokes on a wheel? What do stagecoach horse collars and reins look like? What do stagecoach drivers wear?

I sure don't know my historical weapons well enough to identify this rifle, but I bet it's legitimate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home