Saturday, August 29, 2009

Marty Murphy

This one hurts. I just learned that Marty died Wednesday night, August 26, 2009, at his home. What a great guy he was, not to mention what a great cartoonist he was. Here's a sketch he did for me in 1973.



Marty Murphy was a master cartoonist who contributed regularly to Playboy and is probably best known for that work. But to animation fans his credentials are equally impressive.

Marty was a Production Designer on Mister Magoo in 1960, a Layout Artist on Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat, Character Designer on Wait Till Your Father Gets Home 1972 - 1974, and Hong Kong Fooey 1974. He was a Storyboard Artist on DuckTales, Garfield and Friends, Tom and Jerry: The Movie, and a whole lot of other stuff which can be found at the IMDb site:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0614499/

Every once in awhile the cartoonist community suffers a great loss, and this is one of them.

2 Comments:

At September 8, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Blogger Floyd Norman said...

Hey Bob!
Now, that's a great cartoon! Wish I had that one in my collection.

I guess I can't complain too much. Marty was nice enough to give me a signed original some years ago. I'm glad I still have it.

 
At September 8, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Blogger Bob Foster said...

Neither one of us can complain too much - we both knew the cartoonist! Aren't we both lucky?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home